In this competitive era, every software firm is in a struggle to deliver software products that meet the growing expectations of customers. Understanding the project needs and setting up the project development cycle is no longer a one-time activity. Such activities now require step-by-step evaluation and modification to ensure quality deliveries. This is where agile software development comes into action. Agile provides an iterative approach to development and a better ability to respond to changes. Owing to the agile global attention, this blog sheds light on agile software development and its effectiveness for software firms today.
What is Agile Software Development?
In simple terms, agile software development is the methodology of implementing agile in the development process. It is a superset of having different development frameworks as subsets. These frameworks are based on the Agile manifesto. Agile focuses on the collaborations and team organizations that help in better communication with stakeholders, customers, and the team itself. In short, agile software development emphasizes incremental development, continual planning, and better team collaboration, instead of just a one-time delivery plan.
Why Should You Use Agile Methodology?
The usage of agile methodology is beneficial for the efficient execution of the project. It comprises iterative short term deadlines called “Sprints” which show the project work and progress status. The success of the software development greatly improves from sprints and communication among the team.
To further showcase why agile methodology is ideal in present times, the following are some of the top reasons associated with it:
- With agile methodology, managers get better product control due to feedback integration, transparency, quality-control aspects of agile.
- Due to small sprints-based continuous delivery, the chances of project failure reduces greatly. Besides that, the agile approach also reduces the chances of doing changes in the final product.
- Agile reduces the technical debt of the project through product backlog.
- The short timelines and continuous meetings with the agile methodology minimize risks that could occur in case of long term timelines.
- Agile methodology actively involves the developing team and customers in the decision-making process, thereby resulting in a higher quality product.
- Agile methodology not only develops the best product but also enhances the skills of the team with each iteration.
- Agile methodology is flexible and allows to revive and prioritize tasks as per the present needs.
How Scrum Impacts Everyday Work?
Scrum is one of the most popular implemented agile frameworks. Businesses widely use Scrum because of its iterative and collaborative strategy. It enhances productivity, teamwork, and on-time delivery. This is ideal for those projects that do not have clear requirements.
The Scrum framework encourages the contribution of the team members and focuses on the sprint goals. Every team member has to give input about the project and report about his/her activity. Thereby, it ensures a collaborative team working environment. Since every project has distinct challenges to address, the short Scrum timelines (2-4 weeks) keep the team committed to achieving the best results. This also makes every team member aware of his/her contribution each day. Scrum values, such as focus, courage, and commitment, positively impact the day-to-day progress and the whole firm’s productivity.
No doubt the traditional frameworks have their significance, but the agile method has taken the higher place while managing software development projects. The development of the prototype at every stage of increment eases the moderation of the project. In a nutshell, agile software development methodologies are going to become a core part of almost every software firm in the coming years.